BERGMAN

The residential area now called Bergman remained an undeveloped tract of land northeast of the City of Edmonton until after 1910. The area’s population began grow however, when rich coal seams that lay beneath the soil were discovered and coal mining began. In 1913 the area was incorporated as the Village of Beverly. More about Bergman...

Bergman Listings

All Listings $100,000 - $200,000 $200,000 - $300,000
$300,000 - $400,000 $400,000 - $500,000 $500,000 - $600,000
Over $1,000,000
9 Properties Found. Showing Page 1 of 1
Map
Sort by:

By 1914 the population in the area reached 1,000 and Beverly was incorporated as a town. The boundary line between Edmonton and Beverly was 50th Street. Until after WWII the fortunes of Beverly rose and fell with the successes and failures of the local coal industry. When the last mine was closed in 1952 Beverly’s population was 2,000.

One year later the Beverly Bridge spanning the North Saskatchewan River opened, linking the town’s main street (118th Avenue) with the main highway to the east (Highway 16). Beverly was in a great position to grow as a residential suburb, housing workers from the new petrochemical plants across the river in the County of Strathcona and from other industries building in northeast Edmonton. The town grew quickly until 1961, when Beverly, with a population of 9,000, was amalgamated with the City of Edmonton. The northeast portion of the former town included the neighbourhood of Bergman.

In the decade leading up to amalgamation, the southern part of Bergman shared in the residential construction boom experienced by the Town of Beverly. Much of south Bergman was developed but municipal services were not extended to the northern part of the neighbourhood until a major subdivision re-plot was initiated in 1974. As a result of resubdivision and the construction of municipal service lines, significant new residential construction took place during the 1980s (45% of the residential units in Bergman were built in the 1980s).

A landscape berm was created along the northern boundary of Bergman to shield the new houses from the noise of Yellowhead Trail. The presence of both a grid and curvilinear / culde-sac street pattern in Bergman is evidence of the two distinct periods of construction.

Bergman was named in honour of Gustave C. Bergman, who was the first Mayor of the Town of Beverly.

Information taken from City of Edmonton website.

 

Disclaimer: Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed by the EREB.

Listing information last updated on November 19th, 2017 at 9:16pm MST.