NEWTON

Impatient for Edmonton to grow,vdevelopers subdivided southern Newtonvbefore it was part of the City in the earlyv1900s. A booming Edmonton soonvabsorbed Newton through twovannexations. The portion north of 123rd Avenue was annexed along with the town of North Edmonton in 1912, and southern Newton joined Edmonton a year later. Until Edmonton annexed the Town of Beverly and a large block of land to the northeast, 50th Street formed the boundary of both Newton and the City of Edmonton. More about Newton...

Newton Listings

All Listings Under $100,000 $100,000 - $200,000
$200,000 - $300,000 $300,000 - $400,000 $400,000 - $500,000
21 Properties Found. Showing Page 1 of 2
Map
Sort by:

Prior to 1947, the southeast portion of Newton formed a continuous block of development with the Town of Beverly, an old mining town. Unlike Edmonton’s newer suburban neighbourhoods which tend to be developed within about 15 years, Newton’s development was spread out over several decades. In fact, while southern Newton contains residences built before World War II, the northwest corner of the neighbourhood continued developing well into the late 1990s.

Newton’s southern half is laid out in a traditional grid format and the lands north of 123rd Avenue are laid out along a modified grid system, reflecting the distinct period of development the neighbourhood experienced.

Dwelling units in the neighbourhood are primarily single detached with a limited number of low density multi-family units and some apartment units. Homes in Newton are predominantly owner-occupied and residents are slightly more stable than the city-wide average, with at least 65% of residents having lived in the neighbourhood for more than five years. Newton features a central school site, which houses two elementary schools, and has three parks. A small commercial centre is also located in the centre of the neighbourhood adjacent to the school site, and other commercial amenities are located along 118th Avenue, which forms the southern boarder of the neighbourhood.

The Newton neighbourhood was named in honour of Anglican Minister Reverend William Newton, who arrived in Edmonton in 1875 and built a church and hospital roughly ten kilometers east of Fort Edmonton that same year.

Information taken from City of Edmonton website.

 

Disclaimer: Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed by the EREB.

Listing information last updated on September 23rd, 2017 at 3:46pm MDT.