QUEEN ALEXANDRA

A diverse and truly mixed-use neighbourhood located in central Edmonton, Queen Alexandra contains a variety of features, land uses and densities. The northern portion of the neighbourhood formed part of the original Town of Strathcona incorporated in 1899 and subdivision soon followed. Strathcona experienced strong growth prior to World War I and much of the area north of University Avenue to Whyte Avenue was developed rapidly. More about Queen Alexandra... 

Queen Alexandra Listings

All Listings $100,000 - $200,000 $200,000 - $300,000
$300,000 - $400,000 $400,000 - $500,000 $500,000 - $600,000
$700,000 - $800,000
27 Properties Found. Showing Page 1 of 3
Map
Sort by:

Single family residences dominated, but commercial land uses in the area of Whyte Avenue and 104 Street were also established as Strathcona’s commercial district began to develop. The bulk of development south of University Avenue occurred during the 1940s and later.

The northern part of the neighbourhood contains most of the commercial land uses, and Whyte Avenue, which forms the neighbourhood’s northern boundary, is a significant city-wide activity node, shopping and entertainment destination. Institutional land uses are prominent throughout Queen Alexandra. The neighbourhood contains several schools, parks, sports facilities and religious assemblies. Residential redevelopment has been a significant component of land use change over the last decade, as single family homes are replaced with higher density residential forms such as low rise apartments and condominiums. The neighbourhood’s proximity to Whyte Avenue, the University of Alberta (U of A) and the U of A hospital, all major employment centres and significant destinations within the city, has made Queen Alexandra a very convenient neighbourhood in which to live, shop, work and play.

The area was named for Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), the wife of King Edward VII of England. The date the neighbourhood received its name is not known definitively. The neighbourhood may have been named in 1901 at the time of King Edward’s accession when Alexandra became the Queen. Alternatively, the neighbourhood may have been named to coincide with the renaming of the Duggan Street School in 1910.

Information taken from City of Edmonton website.

 

Disclaimer: Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed by the EREB.

Listing information last updated on November 24th, 2017 at 5:46am MST.