TAWA

Between 1876 and 1891 the Mill Woods area was settled, under treaty, by a Metis-Cree band led by John Papaschase. After 1891, when the Papaschase reserve was abandoned, the area became part of the ring of agricultural settlement surrounding the City of Edmonton. In 1970, concern over rising costs of serviced land prompted the Government of Alberta to assemble a land bank southeast of the City. In 1971, the City of Edmonton prepared a development plan & began purchasing the land from the Province. The area was named for the Mill Creek, which crossed it, and the groves of trees which stood there. More about Tawa...

Tawa Listings

All Listings $100,000 - $200,000 $200,000 - $300,000
$300,000 - $400,000
20 Properties Found. Showing Page 1 of 2
Map
Sort by:

In 1969, the City of Edmonton set aside a 250 acre parcel of land close to the geographic centre of Mill Woods for the development of a Town Centre. It was envisioned that the Town Centre would be a multi-land use project, consisting of a regional shopping centre, office developments, institutional facilities, medium and high density housing and various commercial establishments. The Town Centre boundaries are: 34 AVE to the north, 23 AVE to the South, 50 ST to the east and 66 ST to the west. Situated at the heart of the community the Town Centre is an important focal point of major commercial, cultural and social activities in Mill Woods.

The Tawa neighbourhood represents the northern half of the Mill Woods Town Centre. Tawa’s primary land use is institutional, and the Grey Nun’s Hospital and a large school/park site fill out the centre of the neighbourhood. The school site was recently declared surplus by the school board and the school’s building envelope (which does not include the park site) will be redeveloped as housing. Commercial land use is clustered in the southwestern corner of the neighbourhood and medium to high density housing forms a ring around the neighbourhood’s institutional centre. Residential construction in Tawa began in the 1990s and continued into the early 2000s.

Tawa means “you are welcome” in the Cree language. The present day Mill Woods area was once a part of the Cree Papaschase Reserve and neighbourhoods in the area are named to honour Aboriginal leaders and history.

The geographical boundaries of this community are:

  • NORTH: 34 AVE
  • SOUTH: 28 AVE
  • EAST: 50 ST
  • WEST: 66 ST

City Council representative: Ward 11, Kerry Diotte

Information taken from City of Edmonton website.

Disclaimer: Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed by the EREB.

Listing information last updated on November 23rd, 2017 at 11:17am MST.